Monday, September 7, 2009

From Corrine Cory...

The Wende Davis I Knew

When I moved back to Vancouver at the age of 50, I decided to try a yoga class that happened to be just down the street from where I lived.  From the first class I knew that Wende was to be my yoga guide.  I stayed with her classes for ten years, until I left Vancouver in 2007, but by then we had become close friends.  Although we lived in different cities, we talked on the phone regularly and visited each other often.  I was able to visit Wende in Vancouver three or four times a year, enjoying her garden, being with Karsh, having Wende’s wonderful oatmeal, yogurt and maple syrup breakfast, preparing meals together and occasionally going out for dinner or the infrequent drink to celebrate some event.  Although I only saw Wende’s Saturna place early in its construction, I have a strong image of what it is like now and hope to be able to visit it again. 

Wende and I had some wonderful times traveling together, whether it was a weekend trip to Seattle and Bellingham, or a week’s car journey through California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and Washington.  Wende came to California a couple of times while I was there.  The first time was marked by the WARC exhibition and a talk by Lucy Lippard.  How thrilling it was to revisit this amazing period of women’s empowerment as it took place in art; and how amazing to be with someone who was a part of the naissance of that movement.  I was embraced by Wende’s enthusiasm for the events we attended and for the role she had played at Woman House. 

Wende also visited me in my home in Refuge Cove, BC.  One August, at the height of the Perseid meteor shower, true to form, she got us set-up with all the house lights off , laying on blankets out on my dock so we could watch the sky.  We explored the mysteries of the universe that evening.  And then, in the middle of the night, she got me up to row out to an even darker spot and we sat in the row boat watching the stars. 

I will miss Wende desperately each summer as I watch the stars alone.

Corrine Corry
August 2009

 
Wende and Corrine's dog Spencer at the Columbia River

No comments:

Post a Comment